iTunes l Stitcher l Spotify l Google Play Music

For some of you, it’s been a very long time since you were consistent with eating well and working out. For others, it’s brand new.

The good news is that it’s never too late to start and today I’m going to walk you through the basics that will set you up for long-term success.

It’s easy to get overwhelmed with all the information and misinformation out there and in all honesty, getting fit and healthy isn’t complicated. It’s actually really simple, but there is a lot more money in trying to confuse you and make you believe that you “need” a certain diet or program.

All you really need is to follow a few basic principles and do them long enough to see results. Make these a part of your day to day life and you’ll succeed. Consistency is the key.

  1. Make sure you have a reason or WHY to start. That will keep you in the game, especially early on when its not a habit and you feel like quitting.
  2. Make yourself accountable. The more people that care about you who know, the better. Make an announcement on Facebook. Put yourself out there. When your ass is on the line, you’re far more likely to stick with it.
  3. Start where you’re at, not where you want to be or where you used to be. Chances are, you were in far better shape 15-20 years ago before life and kids happened. Forget all that and check your ego (it’s hard, were men) and start slow. It’s super easy to overdo it after a long layoff and you’ll likely end up getting hurt.
  4. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing, but it CAN be. Some people are wired that way. I am and for me, if I have one Oreo, I’ll have 20. If that’s you too, that’s OK. Just know it before you start.
  5. Simple is better. You don’t need a diet plan, a hardcore workout program, track calories, or prep and cook all day. Make things as easy on yourself as possible. The more complicated it becomes, the more likely you are to quit. Doing nothing is your benchmark and you have to reset it. That takes work and time.
  6. Pay attention to the small things like stretching, sleeping, walking, stress management, and getting fresh air and sunshine. They aren’t particularly exciting, but are hugely important and even more so as you break into your forties and beyond.
  7. Focus on strength and mobility. Forget the HIIT sessions or trying to do sprints for now and just start with a basic push/pull workout. Use compound lifts. Use moderate weight. No 1RM for a while.
  8. Don’t eat like an asshole. This is as simple as it sounds. Eat foods that help your body and avoid the ones that don’t. Follow an 80/20 rule, which is simply eat high quality, whole foods 80% of the time or more and then enjoy the things you really love the other 20%.

Follow these simple rules and you’ll be well on your way to living much healthier, leaner, and fitter.

Fit Dad Basecamp
Join The Inner Circle