Today we celebrate our 100th episode and I thank each of you who have taken the time to listen to what the Fit Dad Nation is all about.
As a thank you, I'm offering free access for 30 days into our accountability program called Fit Dad Nation Inner Circle. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll send you the info.
Today I want to share my core beliefs on fitness and how simplicity is the key to your results. I've learned a great deal over the years and I can tell you honestly that all the fancy diets, programs, and supplements don't mean sh*t compared to the basics of good health.
Honestly, you really only need a few things to succeed regardless of your goals.
- The honest desire to change
- The commitment to making it happen
- A plan to make it happen
- The hard work and consistency to see it through
I speak from experience here and I’ve shared my story many times here.
Here are the things to focus on if you want long-term progress:
- A healthy and sustainable diet that gets results for you. Stop eating shitty foods. You know McDonald’s is crap. You know veggies are good. Apply this information.
- Progressive resistance training. Train your a** off, sweat every day and push yourself daily
- Move more and sit less.
- More fresh air and sunshine and less cubicle and lamp.
- Less stress and more happiness.
- Commit to being better every day. Long-term results require long-term consistency.
- Get more sun, sleep, and sex and less stress, anger, and apathy.
- Kill negative self-talk, excuses, and procrastination. Now is literally all you have.
- Use your fucking head. Stop using supplements to try to hack your results. Stop looking for shortcuts, there are none.
It’s not as easy as just following a few basic principles because most of us are full of excuses why we can’t do it. Here's how I look at fitness and I use these as my benchmark for progress:
1. Stop using fucking excuses.
We all have busy lives, kids, jobs, and dozens of other things to do daily.
2. Make your body a priority.
It’s selfish to put yourself behind everyone and everything else. Take care of #1 and you will be a better husband, father, and man for it.
3. Life is hard, get over it.
I struggle every day to keep my business afloat, to keep my emotions in check when I can’t see my daughters, and to keep myself from eating a box of honey buns. It’s hard, really fucking hard, and some days it seems impossible. But it’s not.
4. Put work in every day.
Stretch, walk, take the stairs, get more movement in. Lift heavy weights until they aren’t heavy anymore. Train hard. Be committed. Do the work especially when you don’t feel like it.
5. Eat like you actually care about your body.
Remember, nobody ever got fat from one meal. You did this to yourself over time.
6. Find your “why” as in why it’s so important to be healthy and fit.
Maybe you want to look great naked. Maybe you’re tired of being a fat ass. Maybe you want better sex with your wife. Whatever your reason, it HAS to resonate deeply for it to drive you past your excuses and bullshit.
7. Realize that life is immensely short.
Sure you or I could get in a car accident tomorrow and die but think about your life and the quality of it if you lived until you were 80. Do you want to be hobbling around all hunched over because you never took care of yourself? Do you want the best years of your life to be spent just trying to make it through another dull and meaningless day? You can still live an amazing life while looking and feeling the best you ever have. It’s there. Take it.
Thank you for all your support!