I’ve been coaching men and women for the last 24 years and most of my clients have tried dozens of different diets and programs and either quit because they were too restrictive or seen a little success and then once the progress stopped, regained the weight they lost and are back at square one.
That’s a shitty place to be.
Now if this happens time after time, it’s only natural to throw your hands up in the air and say “screw it, nothing works” and that’s a reasonable response. Unfortunately, it’s the wrong way to look at it and could be one main reason you’re failing to see long-term progress.
I can tell you that barring any serious metabolic or hormonal issue, anyone can lose a significant amount of weight and body fat if following a plan that works. You might not think it’s possible because you’ve tried so many things and none of it seems to work, but I assure you that you can do it.
It all boils down to a handful of basics and if you follow then consistently, you WILL see progress.
- Eat a high quality diet with whole foods. Avoid processed foods, sugars, refined oils, and anything that comes in a box.
- Eat fewer calories than you need.
- Strength train 3-4x per week. Remember, lean muscle is the single most important aspect of fat burning. More muscle tissue = faster metabolism.
- Sleep 7-8 hours a night. If you need help with this one, listen to this podcast episode.
- Drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water daily.
- Reduce stress as much as possible. I know it’s not easy but stress can keep you fat.
- Find a support group or some form of accountability. This is HUGE and can’t be overstated. If you’ve tried to get into shape for years and are still stuck, you need help. That’s not a bad thing, you just need to be around people who help you and can share wins and losses with you. I’ve seen the power of this firsthand for years.