The #1 response I get when I ask our community about why they aren't fit is a lack of time. It seems that so many of us dads don't think we have enough time to get everything on our to-do lists done, let alone carve out an hour to train every day.
I get it. But it's wrong.
We ALL have time to exercise. The busiest people on Earth have time or rather should I say "make" time. Gary Vaynerchuk, who is arguably one of the busiest men you'll ever come across, finds an hour every day to train. And if he can do it, you and I can too.
Today I share some ideas on how to "find" time each day to exercise because it's THAT important. If your priority isn't your health and fitness, then you should seriously revisit them.
Without our health, we have nothing. We can have the best careers, family life, and lifestyles, but if we're too sick to enjoy them, it doesn't mean shit.
And while you and I may not be sick now, many of us are heading there. Poor lifestyle habits, sitting all day, little exercise, crappy diets, and a ton of stress all add up and they can kill us. Literally.
So it's on you and you alone to find the time to exercise. Here are a few things that I've incorporated into my own busy life and you can use them as you need to carve out that critical time each day.
- Find your "why". If you know why its important to you, you'll likely find the time for it.
- Make an appointment with yourself and keep it.
- Realize something is better than nothing. 15 minutes is plenty of time to get a good workout in.
- Make it fun. If you enjoy the exercise, you're far more likely to do it.
- Join a class and put your ass on the line.
- Find an accountability partner or group. The FDN Inner Circle is our accountability group
- Always take the stairs.
- Be efficient with your workouts. Find some killer HIIT workouts.
- Get up earlier. It sucks but it's often the best way to get those extra minutes in.
- Stop watching TV.
- Train at lunch. It's not ideal but it works.
- Use your kids either as sandbags or train with them. Plus, if you go to a park, you'll have a place to train.
- Make it a date. Do outdoor active stuff with your wife. Hiking, biking, or kayaking all work.